Thursday, June 15, 2006

I know Chuck Schumer isn't likely to take advice from little old me, but if he decides to support the increasingly-likely independent run from Joe Lieberman he's really going to regret it.

He'll regret it doubly when Joe bolts the party AND loses.


--Atrios

Loses?

Let's look at the latest Quinnipiac poll, dated June 9:

In possible general election matchups:

...Running as an independent, Lieberman gets 56 percent, to 18 percent for [Ned] Lamont and 8 percent for [Republican challenger Alan] Schlesinger.


(Emphasis mine.)

And his overall approval-disapproval in Connecticut is 59%-37%. His approval is dropping, but it's still high.

Look, I'm sick of the sanctimonious little twerp, too -- but if he stays in this race, it appears now that he'll win in a landslide.

And, of course, if he does win, it appears he'll still caucus with the Democrats, thus contributing to a possible Senate majority -- which I thought was the point for people like us this year.

Though I guess there's no guarantee he'll stick with the Dems. Schumer, I suppose, is trying to make sure that happens.

I have to tell you I will be furious if this winds up a 50-50 or 51-49 Senate and a newly reelected independent Lieberman decides to tip the balance to the GOP by caucusing with the Republicans. I don't think that will happen, but I'd welcome some assurance that it won't.

In the abstract, of course it would be wonderful to get rid of Lieberman. But it's a safe seat for Democrats when the numbers are what's important, when we're clawing and scratching just to get to 51.

Why did this race become Priority #1 for so many angry progressives?

(Nothing wrong with anger, of course -- but it should be used more effectively than this.)

No comments: